Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Actions and Reactions

Orientation to Service-Learning Results

Once more, 96 students, 16 youth coaches and 30 minutes to accomplish three tasks, in a medium size room, proved to be too much today. We will try groups working at classrooms with smaller agendas next.

The Chinese drinks we purchased at the Vietnamese store were not a hit today. One of the students disliked the consistency of the drink and like a dominoe effect, the others did not even want to try them. I would not say I liked the flavor, but it was not bad once I got used to the difference in consistency.

I wonder how Japanese students would have handled this. I read that teamwork and collaboration are taught from k-on. My freshmen "some what" collaborated, but my coaches' understanding of teamwork needs more experiential learning opportunties. The freshmen found my forms confusing and the wording had too many words they did not understand. I must check this with their English teachers tomorrow.

My student could not film the participants reaction to "Round Up" because the cd player did not work and we were running out of time.

My Japanese instructor and I did not get together for my lesson. I hope she is ok because she took longer than expected at a doctors' appointment. To end the date on a low note, I received the saddest news today. My mother's Alzheimer’s is getting worse. Assisted living is not for her anymore. My sister and I will have to move her to 12-hour supervised care. I knew I would be receiving bad news soon because of the changes I noticed the last time I was with her, but I did not know it was going to be so soon.

At early morning chapel, we have a daily chapel service at school, I heard that God's unanswered prayers make us stronger. I had a small share of strenght today.

Not everything was challenging today. I met "on the net" some people who will spend time in Yanagawa with me. They are: Patricia Land, from Illinois, who described Yanagawa as "the Venice of Japan with tourist boats on the canal." Patricia feels that we got lucky with this city. I also met Sherry Donald from Missisippi and Buffy Fegenbush from Louisiana.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

cbc: clayc@casady.org; 405-749-3103